It was about 8:00 pm, on a Saturday morning, I remembered it like it was yesterday, I had two hours remaining in my shift, after which, I would be off duty for the rest of the weekend. I had just returned to the office from an assignment. It was then I was given a message to call my girlfriend’s mother. So I call to find out what was wrong.
Yvonne Maria's mother told me, Maria went into labor and is at the hospital. I immediately sought permission to leave work and immediately went to the hospital. I must say here, Maria and I have never went to lamas’ classes or any such birth readiness program, but I understood my role as it related to her in the birth process.
On my arrival to the hospital, I was given a hospital robe and mask and was taken to the section of the Maternity ward, where Maria was being prepped for the mystery of giving birth. When I arrived to where Maria was, her Midwife, whom I knew quite well, had just finished examining her, after she removed her gloves, she greeted me with a beautiful smile, then she said, there is no rush, Maria is only three center meters dilated. It is still a few hours before she give birth.
I did not know what was going through Maria's mind, but it was my responsibility to give her the confidence, the courage and the calm she need to make it through this difficult first time experience, with the lease stress and discomfort that was possible. The Registered Nurse who was also a trained Midwife, who had the responsibility to ensure this special child, had a smooth and complication free transition, from life inside the womb to life outside the womb; had just left the room.
As I walked over to where Maria lay on the bed looking very uncomfortable; I asked her how she was doing, it was then that I noticed, the appearance of a black bulge appeared in the area of her vagina. I immediately took a closer look, I noticed, the baby head was coming down. I swore, it seems in the same manner the unborn child adjusted his fetal position to be next to me whilst in the womb, now Malique heard my voice, he decided, my dad is here it is time to leave this place and he began to do precisely that.
I immediately went to the door and called the nurse who was standing with her colleagues in the nurse’s station. I shouted nurse the baby is coming. She immediately responded and as she respond she said: "that can't be," as she make her way into the delivery room, while continuing the conversation with herself. "I just checked her and she was only three centimeters dilated." Then she proceeded to once again examined Maria. To the nurse surprised, the baby was on its way. Then the rush for final birth preparation began. Baby Malique was coming; he had decided not to comply with the medical rules and normal expectations. The birth period was not as long as I expected it to be and with my help and presence the birth was not as hard on Maria as we expected.
Malique was in a hurry to leave his old dwelling place, to inhabit his new place. After the birth process was completed, the nurses were all happy, at the outcome. He cried to clear his lungs, the nurses cleaned him up just enough to showed him to me, then lay him on Maria's chest. He was such a handsome baby. I was once again a proud father.
No comments:
Post a Comment