I was working in Bermuda as a police officer, as part of my routine,
I will call my son Malique and his mother to see how he was doing. One evening
I called and Maliques mother reported, that she think Malique has asthma, an
illness that result in breathing problem.
Her reason for suspecting that was: She took Malique to the Botanical
Gardens and Malique was breathing extremely heavy and was unable to walk for
any significant period.
I knew Malique very well, even more so than his mother did. I knew Malique did not have asthma or any
other breathing problem for that fact. I concluded this for the simple fact,
that while Malique was very small between two or three years old, one of my
routine with the little man was to wake up very early in the morning at approximately
5:30 am, I will call ahead and have him mother prepare him, and both of us will
go to the beach for an early morning swim. Before we take our swim, Malique and
I will exercise on the beach, which consisted of jogging the length of the
beach several times, push ups jumping jacks and sit ups. Although Malique was
unable to complete one push up, it did not stop him from trying. He had no
problem running, the length of the beach as many times as I will. I was always
amazed at the effort me made, of couse, I will run at Malique’s pace. But as
long as I was willing to run, Malique kept pace with no complaint of exhaustion.
So it was a shock to me, when I was told that Malique has Asthma.
I told Malique’s mother under no uncertain terms Malique
have Asthma. This is a child who have hiked even at the tender age of three
years old the Vermont Nature trail. And never did he ever say he was tired, or
cannot go any further. However he fell asleep from the exhaustion of the hike
and had to be carried the last part of the hike.
It was just a matter of weeks before I return home for
vacation. Malique told me of a scooter he liked and asked if I can get it for
him if it were not too much trouble. So I purchased the scooter and I shipped
in to St. Vincent and the Grenadines.
While on vacation, Malique and I went to try out the
scooter. I strapped on my roller blades, and Malique and I went for a ride. I
let out full speed ahead and Malique hopped onto his scooter and off we went. I
look back with the thought that Malique maybe lagging behind expecting me to waite
for him which I was willing to do; however, I was shocked to see Malique about
one scooter length behind me keeping up. So we rode the from Level Garden,
along Paul’s Avenue, onto Backstreet, we turn right on Sharp Street, then we cruised
up to the Grenadines whaft. It was also an opportunity to see what have changed
since I was last on the island of St. Vincent and the Grenadines the land of my
birth.
After which, with speed that mirrored the speed we started
the trip with we rode the length of Bay Street turning right on Queen street
and we stopped at my homestead where we refreshed ourselves.
Malique showed no sign of exhaustion except for the sweat
that ran from his forehead and that have taken over his clothen. As a matter of
fact, I saw excitement in his eyes after all he was with his dad and with his
dad there is nothing he could not or was not willing to try to do.
this experience put the asthma theory to rest.

No comments:
Post a Comment